Dance Artists in Training
The Defy Gravity Professional Division is now in it's 15th award winning season with graduates training and performing with Lamon Dance, Modus Operandi, Coastal City Ballet and the SFU Dance Program in addition to teaching and choreographing throughout the Lower Mainland. Professional Division Dancers train in core classes of Cecchetti Ballet (including yearly exams), Jazz, Acro, Contemporary, Modern, Lyrical and Tap with additional options in Hip Hop. The Professional Division is for dancers interested in a career in the performing arts and those wishing to train with other dedicated, talented and motivated dancers and performers. Professional Division dancers improve their skills in a safe, supportive and challenging environment with instruction from the most sought after dance educators in BC. Dancers are educated in Cecchetti Ballet, PBT (functional stability/core training), yoga (alignment and coordination), nutrition, injury prevention, Strength to support Flexibility (Alixa Flexibility and Acrobatic Arts certified teachers) as well as dance history, technique and choreography. Cecchetti Ballet classes have an accompanist weekly. Entrance into the Professional Division is by audition. Professional Division dancers compete locally and provincially, participate in yearly Cecchetti Ballet exams, perform in our Annual Recital and extra performance opportunities such as "Friends of Lamon" Gala and “Dancing for a Cure” which supports our Canadian Cancer Society Fundraising Team.
Auditions for 2022-2023 are by in-class assessment in June 14-16, 2022. A second round of auditions (if needed) will be held during Summer Intensive Aug 22-26, 2022.
Auditions are $35 plus gst payable before the assessment classes commence.
Please contact the office to reserve your place in assessment classes 604.272.0808 | email@example.com
Pre-Professional 4 (9-11 years): 2 P4 Ballet classes, 2 P4 Jazz classes, P4 Acro technique class and P4 Tap class required. Optional classes in Hip Hop.
Professional 3 (12-14 yrs): 4 P3 Ballet classes (including pointe), 2 P3 Jazz/Lyrical classes, P3 Modern class, P3 Contemporary class, P3 Acro class and P3 Tap class.
Professional 2 (14+ yrs): 4 P2 Ballet classes (including pointe), 2 P2 Jazz/Lyrical classes, P2 Contemporary class, P2 Modern class, P2 Tap, P2 Jazz choreography (outside class time). Optional Classes in Hip Hop/Breakdancing.
Professional 1 (15+ yrs): 4 P1 Ballet classes (including pointe), 2 P1 Jazz/Lyrical classes , P1 Contemporary Class, P1 Modern Class, P1 Jazz choreography (guest choreographer, outside class time). Optional classes are Hip Hop/Breakdancing and P1 Tap.
**All Professional Division class requirements are listed above and are non-negotiable. Optional classes may be added to enrich your dancers training and experience. All additional classes within the Professional Division are by audition only. The quality of our program depends on the dedication of our talented students and faculty – cohesive training in a supportive environment sets the stage for fabulously talented and inspiring dancers!
- Dancers are expected to arrive for class on time, prepared and in proper dress code.
- Dancers that must miss a class are expected to catch up on all choreography/skills missed on their own time and arrive to the next class prepared to keep up with their classmates. Dancers should notify the office of any anticipated missed classes so we can plan accordingly.
- Dancers are permitted to miss up to 3 of each class for reasons such as vacation, illness, schoolwork. These 3 classes should not be missed between January – May unless pre-approved by the Studio Director OR in case of emergency. Dancers missing more than 3 classes may be asked to leave the Competitive Program and no refunds will be issued.
- Dancers are expected to be in class if they are injured or not feeling well and should record choreography so they can practice when feeling better/recovered. Dancers should not be in class is they are contagious or vomiting (in that case, please stay home and get better soon!)
- All dancers at DG are expected to enter the studio with a positive attitude and fabulous work ethic! We love what we do and mentor our dancers through positivity!
- Parents and Dancers should be prepared to commit to the entire season of training, including workshops/conventions (October/November), Cecchetti Ballet Exams (June), extra performance opportunities, rehearsals, Local & Provincial Competitions and Recital.
- Solos & Duos will be recommended by DG Faculty via the Studio Director. Being offered a solo or duo is an honour and dancers are expected to commit to extra time to prepare for Competitions. Solo/Duo contracts and Deposits must be submitted to the studio before work on Solos/Duos can begin.
- Senior PPP dancers (P1-3) are expected to help mentor younger dancers as part of their training. This will also lead to teacher training and possible employment in the future!
Competition Dates 2021-22
Synergy (Burnaby) – April 20, 2021
Dance Power (Burnaby) – postponed until 2022
The View (Vancouver) – May 30 & June 2, 2021
Gravity (Maple Ridge) – June 14, 2021 (P1/2/3/4 and Co 1 only)
Synergy PROVINCIALS - July 10/11, 2021 (qualifying groups/solos/duos/trios only)