Building the Artist Within
Our Competitive Division is in it’s 14th season and going strong. Dancers tailor their training to include Competitive classes in Contemporary, Jazz, Lyrical, Tap and Hip Hop with additional technique classes in Acro, Ballet & Modern. The Competitive Division is for dancers wishing to train with other motivated dancers and performers wishing to improve their skills in a safe, supportive and challenging environment. Competitive dancers perform at one-three local competitions (depending on Program level) as well as a Fundraiser Benefit for our Canadian Cancer Society Daffodil Dash Team.
Auditions for 2023-2024 are being held Tuesday May 30, 2023
If you wish for your dancer to audition for the Competitive Program, please sign up below or contact the office firstname.lastname@example.org with further questions. Audition fee is $35 plus gst per dancer and must be paid before Audition class commences.
Pre-Competitive: 2 Pre-Co Ballet classes, 1 Pre-Co Jazz class, 1 Pre-Co Lyrical class & 1 Pre-Co Tap class required.
Competitive 2: 1 Co 2 Ballet class, 1 Co 2 Contemp class, 1 Co 2 Jazz class and 1 Co 2 Lyrical class required.
Competitive 1: 1 Co 1 Ballet classes, 1 Co 1 Contemporary class, 1 Co 1 Modern class, 1 Co 1 Jazz class and 1 Co 1 Lyrical class required. Option to add on Co 1 Tap.
All Competitive Division class requirements are listed above and are part of a comprehensive program designed to build strong, confident dancers who are able to balance school, family, friends and dance. The quality of our program depends on the dedication of our talented students and faculty – cohesive training in a supportive environment sets the stage for fabulously talented and inspiring dancers!
Placement in the Competitive Division is by audition only. Optional opportunities are available to enrich your dancers training and experience.
- Dancers are expected to arrive for class on time, prepared and in proper dress code.
- Dancers that must miss a class are expected to catch up on all choreography/skills missed on their own time and arrive to the next class prepared to keep up with their classmates. Dancers should notify the office of any anticipated missed classes so we can plan accordingly.
- Dancers are permitted to miss up to 3 of each class for reasons such as vacation, illness, schoolwork. These 3 classes should not be missed between January – May unless pre-approved by the Studio Director OR in case of emergency. Dancers missing more than 3 classes may be asked to leave the Competitive Program and no refunds will be issued.
- Dancers are expected to be in class if they are injured or not feeling well and should record choreography so they can practice when feeling better/recovered. Dancers should not be in class is they are contagious or vomiting (in that case, please stay home and get better soon!)
- All dancers at DG are expected to enter the studio with a positive attitude and fabulous work ethic! We love what we do and mentor our dancers through positivity!
- Parents and Dancers should be prepared to commit to the entire season of training, including extra performance opportunities, rehearsals, competitions and Recital.
- Solos & Duos will be recommended by DG Faculty via the Studio Director. Being offered a solo or duo is an honour and dancers are expected to commit to extra time to prepare for Competitions. Solo/Duo contracts and Deposits must be submitted to the studio before work on Solos/Duos can begin.
Competition Dates 2021-2022
Synergy (Burnaby) – April 20, 2021
Dance Power (Burnaby) – postponed until 2022
The View (Vancouver) – May 30 & June 2, 2021
Gravity (Maple Ridge) – June 14, 2021 (P1/2/3/4 and Co 1 only)